St Mary (The Church was destroyed by the earthquake of 1884)
Thomas Smith son of Edward Smith was baptised on 15th January 1633
Elizabeth Smith daughter of John Smith was buried on 21st August 1637
James Smith son of John Smith was buried on 7th September 1638
John Smith son of John and Alice Smith was born 26th May 1647 and was baptised on 6th December 1647
John Smith was buried on 16th January 1696
Mary Smith daughter of Joseph and Mary Smith was baptised in 1735
Mial Smith son of Joseph and Mary Smith was baptised on 26th February 1737
Joseph Smith was buried on 5th February 1742
Hannah Smith a child was buried on 2nd March 1742
Daniel Smith son of Daniel and Mary Smith was baptised on 12th November 1786
William Smith son of Abraham and Susan Smith was baptised on 11th July 1824
Susan Smith daughter of Abraham and Susan Smith was baptised on 15th February 1827
Maria Smith daughter of Abraham and Susan Smith was baptised on 15th February 1831
William Smith and Mary Ann Baskett were married on 4th February 1845
William Smith son of William and Mary Ann Smith was baptised on 8th June 1845
Susan Smith daughter of Abraham and Susan Smith was baptised on 18th November 1847
The Earthquake of 1884
How Essex was hit by the strongest earthquake in England's history.
Damage at Wigborough
On the morning of Tuesday 22 April 1884, Colchester and the surrounding parishes were stuck by the strongest earthquake ever to strike the British mainland. Measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale it damaged almost 1250 buildings.
According to witnesses, the earthquake, which was centred on Colchester, Wivenhoe, Langenhoe, Peldon and Abberton, lasted for about 20 seconds and by the time it had finished, churches, houses and cottages were left badly damaged.
Newspaper reports of the time described the destruction. In Abberton gable walls were cracked, and roofs and chimneys collapsed. The schoolhouse was rendered unusable and the foundations of Roman Hall were damaged to such an extent that it became uninhabitable. A new rectory in the course of construction was also badly damaged.
Damage to the Peldon Rose Public House, Peldon
Langenhoe Church was badly damaged. Masonry tumbled from the tower crashing onto the roof of the nave and chancel. The nearby rectory was also damaged.
In Peldon it was reported that every single house damaged in some way. The Church was also badly damaged and the Rose and Crown Inn was wrecked. At Wivenhoe the Church turrets collapsed and at Wivenhoe Hall chimneys and the front of building collapsed.
No fatalities were reported, but the financial cost was great, especially to the poor whose flimsy cottages were damaged.
A fund to support the victims of the earthquake was launched. The Lord Mayor of London's fund for the relief of the earthquake sufferers had raised by June 1884, 9,900 - 478,269.00 in today's spending power, and by 1 August, the Times reported the fund stood at 10,413 (503,052.03).
A report in the Essex Standard of 21 March 1885 carried the final detailed report of the fund which helped the owners of 20 churches, 11 chapels and 1,213 other properties.
There was some criticism of the way the money had been distributed, particularly for the repair of churches. However, it was pointed out that the aims of the fund announced at the beginning of the fund raising was to be the 'restoration of churches, schools and other buildings', and they defended themselves by stating that half of the fund did go to 'the poor
Damage at Abberton